top of page
Graveyard.jpeg

Graveyard & Cemetery

1784 Gravestone.jpg

1784 Gravestone of Jane  Charlesworth who departed this life in her 7th year of age 

Inscriptions on gravestones in St Mary's Church graveyard dating back to the 17th century can still be found today.  The oldest decipherable surviving gravestone dates back to 1685. Many of the gravestones are made in slate from the Swithland deposits and some from Welsh slate.   There are ancient memorials lining the path to the church doors, with their inscriptions still visible.  For those interested in the various legible inscriptions please refer to detailed documentation by Samuel Stewart which may be found in the 'From Asgothporp To Osgathorpe' document that can be found at:

  https://www.samueltstewart.com/osgathorpe 

THE GRAVEYARD

Land on Breedon Lane for a new cemetery was purchased after burials in the old churchyard ceased in 1873. The distance of a funeral procession away from the north-east corner of the village, across the Ashby Road, the cemetery is accessed through a stone porch that opens into a peaceful scene bordered with a small orchard. While ashes can still be interred at St Mary’s Church, all local burials now take place under the watchful eye of the majestic juniper of the Breedon Lane cemetery. The first grave dates from 1943 and you can rest a while on the bench and reminisce over local bravery at the WW2 Commonwealth War Grave.

Graveyard2.jpg

Commonwealth War Commission Grave of Sergeant Samuel Smith 

THE CEMETERY

bottom of page