top of page
Royal Oak.jpg

Public Houses

The Storey Arms

Storey Arms.jpeg

It is thought that there were two previous Inns on the site of the Storey Arms called the Cock & Mitten and the Seven Stars. John Bennett was given as the first licensee in 1753.  It was still operating as the Seven Stars in 1833. In 1842 it was registered as 'Storer's Arms'  and from 1910 was registered correctly as Story Arms after the lord of the manor, John Bainbrigge Story. However, when the sign in the photograph was made, the name was incorrectly spelt as Storey.

This pub was also used for an inquest. On Friday 20st April 1894 an eight year old girl named Sarah Ann Springthorpe was drowned in the village brook about 10am. It was believed she was playing on the bank and fell into the water. A verdict of death due to drowning was recorded and reported by the Burton Chronicle 26 April 1894.


This building may have originally been built principally as a farm with enclosed walled garden, part of which remains to this day, an orchard and outbuildings. The land to the east was sold and developed in the early 1970’s for housing, a final house being added in the 1990’s adjacent to Meadow Lane.   The Storey Arms is now closed.

Lough Echo Sketch - Storey Arms.jpg

The Royal Oak

Royal Oak.jpg

The Royal Oak, located on Main Street, probably dates back to the 1700’s but our earliest record is of Thomas Towe who was the licensee in 1842. As with many ale houses and inns of the era, a shop also formed part of the Royal Oak at one time. It was a typical farm pub with a tiny bar room,  fire place and a high backed bench.

In February 1879 an inquest was held here into the death of William Baker, a Collier who was shot in the right arm when out shooting pigeons. They recorded a verdict of ‘Accidentally shot’ as reported in the  Ashby-de-la-Zouch Gazette on 8th February 1879.

Derek Hogg (1930-2014), the former Leicester City player between 1952 and 1958, purchased the Royal Oak as a Free House in 1971. He extended the bar into the kitchen and decorated the pub with pictures of his team mates from Leicester City. In 1983, after twelve years as a landlord, Derek had to have a hip operation after which he reluctantly sold the pub and moved to Cromer. 


The Royal Oak in now a private residence.



What is now the home of a branch of the Exclusive Brethren was formerly a locally well known inn and restaurant called The Gate. It was originally a farmhouse and possibly got is name from the Tollgate that also sat on this site. We don't know how far The Gate Inn dates back but it appears on a 1835 O/S map and we know John Asher was the licencee in 1842. In latter years it became known as the Stockyard pub and night club. At this time, the residents of Osgathorpe had to get used to lost inebriated revellers wandering around the village in the dead of night.  

A History Of Osgathorpe Inns

You can view and download Samuel T Stewart's publication on Osgathorpe's former

Ale Houses and Inns by clicking on the link below

bottom of page